Sunday, May 1, 2011

Asparagus Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese

I have to say, my soup didn't turn out the best (or at least the way I would like to eat it), but I do think this soup has great potential to be really good.  And the recipe below includes my changes.  My main problem with the soup was that it was really thin and I like (and was expecting) a thicker, creamier soup.  If I were to remake this soup, I would use double the asparagus and add some cornstarch to thicken it up.  The combination with the goat cheese was really tasty.  The soup was really light so I served it with a parmesan and almond crusted tilapia.  I just finely ground some almonds in my food processer, mixed them with equal parts grated parmesan (a 1/4 cup of each was enough to coat two filets), then I coated both sides of the filets with the mixture and fryed them up in a touch of olive oil on the stove top.


Asparagus Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese
slightly adapted from the Foodie Bride
4 oz goat cheese, softened (I only used 2 oz)
juice from 1 lemon
2 Tbsp chopped chives
small handful of parsley, chopped
Salt
Pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
5 green onions, white and light green parts only, sliced
2 bunches asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces (original recipe called for 1)
3 cups reduced-fat chicken stock/broth
Mix goat cheese, half of the lemon juice, chives, half of the parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl until thoroughly combined. Use a small cookie scoop to form 4 rounds of goat cheese. Place on oiled parchment and stick in the freezer to harden.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and onions until onions are softened (do not let garlic brown). Add asparagus and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until asparagus has softened, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat and puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a standard blender and puree. Stir in remaining lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon soup into bowls, serve garnished with remaining parsley and herbed goat cheese rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment