Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cashew Chicken

This was the best stir fry I've made to date in me and Cor's opinion.  I found this recipe on How Sweet as well and I took one of her reader's comments to add some sriracha hot chili sauce (luckily I had already purchased this).  It added the perfect heat to compliment the sweetness of the honey.  I also loved how this recipe called for adding the cornstarch.  I never thought to do that before but it helped the soy sauce and honey thicken up and stick to the veggies and chicken.  The beauty of making a stir fry is that you can basically add any veggies that you have in your fridge.  I didn't have any red pepper, but I added in some broccoli & carrots in its place.  I thought the edamame was such a fun addition.  I actually found it in the freezer section for a really reasonable price (maybe 2 or 3 dollars a bag - and it makes a great healthy snack for another time!).

you have got to get your self some of this stuff!
Cashew Chicken
serves 2-3 - from How Sweet
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup mushrooms
1/2 red pepper, sliced thin
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup shelled edamame
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup unsalted cashews
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
optional sriracha asian hot chili sauce - I would start with a 1/2 teaspoon and add slowly depending on how spicy you like it - I think I probably ended with about 1 teaspoon.
Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper (I chopped first so it would cook quicker), then sprinkle cornstarch on chicken pieces and make sure each piece is somewhat coated. (You can add a little more or less if needed.).  Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and add chicken. Brown on both sides until cooked, about 5 minutes per side. Add garlic, red pepper, edamame, and cashews and stir for 30 seconds (I added my roasted broccoli & steamed carrots here too). Turn heat to medium low.  Mix in soy sauce, honey, sriarcha, and some red pepper flakes if you like.  Serve with jasmine rice per Jessica's suggestions but I could not find any at the grocery so I just used white rice I already had at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment