Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chrispy Shrimp Pasta with Arugula Pesto Cream Sauce

I couldn't wait to make this recipe because I have never had arugula and I keep hearing so many great things about it.  Unfortunately wal mart does not carry arugula :(  So I picked up some fresh spinach instead and decided to make a spinach pesto cream sauce instead!  I figured it would turn out about the same if I just replaced the arugula with spinach.  This was so great with the shrimp.  Perfect combo.  Only thing I might add next time would be some fresh tomatoes on top...can't wait to grow some this summer!  Recipe courtesy of How Sweet.

Crispy Shrimp Pasta
serves 2-4
1 pound raw, deveined shrimp (tails removed)  (I actually just used frozen shrimp and it tasted great!)
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound whole wheat fettuccine (or pasta of choice - I just used a whole wheat spaghetti)
Boil water for pasta and begin to cook according to directions.
Make sure shrimp is clean and completely dry. Combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder and sprinkle it over the shrimp. Add the flour to a small bowl, and dredge the shrimp through the flour to get a very light coating on it. Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the shrimp and brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain cooked pasta and add pasta to the shrimp. Top with pesto. To serve, garnish with fresh parmesan.

Arugula Pesto Cream Sauce
1 6-ounce bag of arugula (or spinach if you can't find it like me)
1/3 cup asiago cheese (I subbed parmesan)
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup olive oil + more if needed
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream
In a food processor, combine garlic, arugula and cheese. Pulse until combined. Stream in olive oil one tablespoon at a time until the pesto becomes smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Add pesto to a large bowl and stir in cream, using a large spoon. Add to shrimp and pasta when ready.



remember me telling you how small my food processor was...
 

camera settings were a little off here!


No comments:

Post a Comment