Friday, March 11, 2011

Stuffed Peppers w/ Tomato Cream Sauce

Are you starting to see a trend here???  We may like us some stuffed peppers in this household!  Corey says these are his new favorite though.  I really loved them to.  I never thought to go this "tomato sauce" route for stuffed peppers...but I love peppers and onions in my marinara, so as soon as I saw the recipe, I knew it would be good.  Another recipe delightfully borrowed from How Sweet.


Stuffed Peppers with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce
4 red, green, orange or yellow peppers
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 29-ounce can of tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds. Set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped onion, sauteing until soft – about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 minced garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute. Season ground chicken breast with salt and pepper and add it to the skillet to brown, it should take about 10-12 minutes to brown. Stir occasionally.
While chicken is cooking, mix the tomato sauce & diced tomatoes with the heavy cream and remaining garlic clove and heat it over low heat. Stir in almost all of the fresh basil, reserving some for garnish.
Stir brown rice and 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese into chicken mixture, then add enough tomato cream sauce to coat. Turn off heat. Divine the mixture evenly between the four peppers, stuffing them to the top. Place in a dish that allows the peppers to stand. Spoon a bit of tomato cream sauce over the tops, and pour the rest of the sauce into the bottom of the pan. Set the tops gently back on the peppers. Bake for 20 minutes, then cover with foil and bake for 30 more. Serve with more parmesan cheese and basil to garnish.

I took Jessica's advice and served these with mashed potatoes on the side.  I think I honestly could have done without though.  I didn't like how the sauce mixed w/ the potatoes and thickened it up.  They were seriously so amazing on their own.  I realized when I made this the next evening, that the herb bread would have been perfect w/ these.  You must try these soon!  Sorry my pictures didn't turn out so beautiful, but follow the link and check out Jessica's.  They will make you hungry for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment