Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grandma's Homemade Mac & Cheese

I have the best memories of this mac & cheese from going to my Grandma's as a little kid.  We get together for a family lunch every few months and she always made mac & cheese amoung other things.  But, as you can imagine the mac & cheese was one of everyone's favorites.  The cheese sauce was always so light and creamy and she broiled the top to get a thin browned layer of cheese.  The day she gave me her secret recipe (out of her Betty Crocker cookbook) was a very special day to me and a very happy one for Corey since he reaps the benefits!  Now that its not as easy for her to cook a huge meal for everyone we all pitch in, and her famous mac & cheese has become my responsibility.  The best way to make this is to make the cheese sauce the day before hand or at least a few hours so it has time to thicken up in the fridge.  I apologize for not having a picture with this one but I will update as soon as I make it again!

Ingredients:
2 tbl butter
2 tbl flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard (dry mustard)
1/4 tsp pepper
a couple pinches of sugar
2 - 3 cups milk (I lean torward 2 1/2 to 3)
1 cup cubed velveeta cheese
2 1/2 - 3 cups elbow macaroni

Method:
Melt butter in saucepan.  Mix in flour & seasonings with a wisk.  Continue to heat over medium heat for a few minutes.  Mix in milk with wisk (this may take a few minutes for flour/butter mixture to disolve).  Bring milk to a boil while continuously stirring so it doesn't stick to the bottom of your saucepan.  Once boiling turn heat down and stir in cheese until melted and combined.  If you have time, store cheese sauce in fridge for a couple hours to thicken up.
Boil macaroni until tender, then drain.  Pour macaroni into 13 x 9 in casserole dish.  Reheat cheese sauce, then pour over macaroni to coat it.  Slice extra velveeta thinly w/ a cheese slicer and layer over the top of mac & cheese.  Broil in oven watching very closely until browned as desired.

1 comment:

  1.  So it was your granny's recipe she got from Betty Crocker, and now it's yours. That's what I call a hand-me-down recipe. ;) I love those! Wish I had more myself. :{ 

    ReplyDelete