Sunday, March 6, 2011

Strawberry Crostata

I saw this recipe on my friend Lauren's blog and I knew I needed to make it soon!  Then I was at the grocery store yesterday morning and I saw these beautiful strawberries and bought a couple containers of them knowing I could use them to make the Crostata she posted about.  Lauren's used frozen berries so I did a quick internet search and found this recipe on A Cozy Kitchen and knew I could make something similar.  They were both Giada recipes so I knew they would be good and were pretty much the same base.  I didn't use the lemon they both used however because I didn't have one.  I think it turned out awesome.  It truly reminded me of a strawberry shortcake when I took cozy kitchen's advise and served it up with whip cream.  This definitely helped me cure some of my winter blues as I was looking out my window at the rain continuing to pour down!  Who is ready for summer?!


Strawberry Crostata
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ice water
1 ½ cups chopped strawberries
1/8 cup strawberry jam

For the dough: Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Next add the cubed butter, a few pieces at a time. Pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal, then pulse in the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until moist clumps form. Gather the dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Once the dough has chilled, remove from the refrigerator and roll out until it reaches roughly 1 foot across. Important note – the dough does not need to look perfect! If it isn’t a full circle or is cracking in places, don’t sweat it. Using a rolling pan, transfer the dough to a baking sheet.
In the center of the crostata dough spread the jam then arrange the strawberries on top, leaving a 2 inch border. Gently fold the dough over the berries, pleating loosely and pinching to seal any cracks in the dough. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve with fresh whipped cream.

before the oven



fresh out of the oven




No comments:

Post a Comment