Sunday, January 16, 2011

Philly Cheesesteaks

Alright, I have to admit, half of my inspiration comes for my husband.  All I have to do is ask him if there is anything he would like this week for dinner and he will come up with a great idea that I can't wait to tackle.  Today we were strolling through Sam's club and he mentioned "mmmm philly cheesesteaks sound so good."  Quick internet search on the way to the grocery is all it took, these were so easy to make!  Did you know you could ask the meat counter at the local grocery to slice up the meat any way you like it?  I grabbed the pre-packaged steak I wanted and brought it over to the counter and they sliced it really thin for me.

Philly Cheesesteaks - adapted from Emeril Legasse

1/2 lb rib-eye steak sliced very thin
1 onion
1/2 green pepper
banana peppers
mushrooms
provolone or motzerella cheese
italian bread or other hoagie rolls

Carmelize the onions and peppers in butter and sugar.  I usually use a few tablespoons butter and sprinkle sugar over the top.  Let this simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes until they start getting brown.  Then add mushrooms and cook for a couple more minutes.
Slide the veggies over on your griddle or use another pan.  Season the steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook the until no longer pink.
Add the banana peppers and mix everything together move over to one side of the griddle.  Butter your bread and put them butter side down on the griddle to toast them.  (Did you know you can get day old bread from Jimmy John's for 50 cents a loaf - thats what we used.  brought back good memories of my college days with Katie.)  Once you are toasted up you can make up your cheesesteaks.  We put mayo and mustard on one side and pizza sauce on the other side before piling up some steak and veggies on the sandwhiches then of course you can't forget your cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment