Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Beef Brisket w/ a Sweet BBQ Sauce

I may need a little practice cooking my brisket (ok, a lot of practice), but this sauce made it all worth it!  Brisket is a cut of meat that needs to be cooks very slow on low heat.  I had been wanting to make this brisket on Sunday, but unfortunately was unable to get it in the oven until about 4.  The recipe called for cooking it 6 hours at 250, so I decided if I just kicked up the heat a bit to 325 I could cook it quicker...maybe in 3 hours.  While I was fully warned by Corey's mother (this was her recipe) that you needed to keep watching it because it can overcook very easily, I for some reason had it in my mind that it was going to take a while so I didn't start checking it until it was too late!!!  I think I cooked it for about 3 hours (a little over a 3 pound chunk of meat - and really half of that was probably fat that I trimmed off).  Long story short, next time I'll be using the crock pot and make this an all day affair.  I have made brisket one other time (in the crock pot) and it was much better!  Or just check it starting every hour if I do it in the oven - oh and follow the recipe and cook at 250!

I served ours with green beans and sour cream mashed red skin potatoes.

Ingredients
Brisket
Liquid Smoke
1 stick butter
1 onion
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1 cup BBQ
garlic powder
3/4 cup water
worchestershire
A-1

Directions
1.  Poke brisket all over with a fork and pour liquid smoke over it (totally forgot to buy this stuff at the store so I didn't get to do this step)  Cook at 450 for 20 min wrapped in a foil "package"
2.  Mix all other ingredients (to taste if I didn't specify above)  I didn't have A-1 so I randomly threw in some tobasco sauce!  Pour sauce over brisket and cook slow (Checking often!!!) at 250.

The sauce makes a good amount so I didn't pour it all over the top but its nice to have extra for dipping.  Or pouring all over the plate if you saw mine above!  Slice brisket against the grain to help with tenderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment