I have been on a bit of a baking kick lately I'm beginning to notice. Which is not so good for my diabetic husband! Don't worry, he is surviving, and I am going to chill it out soon!
Yum, this Cinnamon Bread was sort of like a banana bread...something you can get away with eating for breakfast, even though it should really be classified as a desert. The cinnamon sugary crust of this bread was absolutely no exception. I think I wish you could somehow coat all edged of each piece with that stuff! I had intended on bringing this into work so we didn't end up eating it...but just couldn't do it. Too edible...
Warning: don't get nervous about this recipe, I got a little confused with all the steps when reading over it, but if you follow along as you go it makes sense!
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup brown sugar
2 heaping tablespoons ground cinnamon
1. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl.
3. Beat in the eggs, salt, vanilla and lemon zest.
4. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
5. Mix 1/2 of the buttermilk into the wet ingredients.
6. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
7. Mix the remaining buttermilk into the wet ingredients.
8. Mix 1/3 the remaining dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
9. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
10. Pour 1/3 of the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
11. Pour 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture on top.
12. Pour 1/3 of the batter on top.
13. Pour 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture on top.
14. Pour the remaining batter on top.
15. Pour the remaining cinnamon mixture on top.
16. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean, about an hour.