Sunday, April 10, 2011

BBQ Chicken Burgers

I've never had a chicken or turkey burger...so why not start now!  I often pick my recipes for the week by how yummy the pictures look, and this one definitely did it for me!  This recipe also comes from How Sweet (am I starting to sound like I'm cooking through her blog Julie & Julia style? - that's sort of how it feels!)

BBQ Chicken Burgers
makes 4 burgers
1 pound ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
4 whole wheat buns - I used these awesome whole wheat, everything, chibatta buns I found in the bakery section at Walmart
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
BBQ sauce for topping
gouda cheese for topping

In a large bowl, combine chicken, BBQ sauce, paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Mix until just combined, then form 4 patties. Preheat the grill or a skillet and cook the burgers until fully cooked through. I used the grill for the first time this year and cooked mine about 8 minutes per side – they were juicy and not dried out, but cooked thoroughly.
While burgers are cooking, heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil.  I actually do mine with a little butter and sugar and they are really sweet.  Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and saute until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
When burgers are ready, top with gouda (or more cheddar), onions, BBQ sauce and fresh tomato & romaine. I also toast the buns!


fresh tomato, romaine, & gouda for topping.  any good melting cheese would work, like a mozzarella, but gouda is so good.

caramelized onions
saw these when i walked into the grocery yesterday, half the bag might already be gone...and we aren't really a chip buying family
first night using the grill this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment