Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Angel Food Cake

My bday was Tuesday so I decided to make myself a bday cake!  I had this awesome angel food cake a few weeks ago at work with strawberries and whipped cream and had been wanting to make one ever since, so the bday was a perfect excuse!

Angel food cake is so easy to make!  Make sure you have enough eggs in your house because it takes 12!  And if anyone has a good use for the egg yolks please let me know!  Also make sure that you prepare to make it the night before, or at least a few hours, because you will have to let it cool in the pan before taking it out.

As I was getting ready to make this Monday night, Corey asked me if I could open his present early.  I was shocked because he is the guy who won't even give a hint until I open the gift.  He is really the best gift giver.  I won't even have a chance to start thinking about what I might want for my bday and he comes home one day all smiley and lets me know he's already bought it.  No hints, nothing, he just thinks up some awesome present that I mentioned I wanted months ago once, or maybe I didn't even realize that I wanted it yet.  So you can imagine my surprise when he wanted me to open it early!  Well guess what it was!?!

there's the hubby unwraping my present!
pretty excited!
love having two free hands

this is how fluffy your egg whites should get
a very good excuse to buy a cute new pan
yummy!
bday candle!

Heavenly Angel Food Cake
from All recipes
10-12 large eggs (whites only)
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar

1.  Separate egg whites into glass measuring cup, you will need 1 1/2 cups.  Set aside for 30 minutes to get room temperature.
2.  Sift powdered sugar and flour together three times.  Set aside.
3.  Pour egg whites into your mixer bowl.  Add cream of tartar, salt, & your extracts.  Gradually add sugar until dissolved and stiff peaks form (start gradually with the mixture then increase to speed 8).
4.  Fold in your flour mixture 1/4 cup at a time.
5.  Pour into ungreased tube pan and cut with a knife to get ride of air pockets.  Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 until cake springs back.  Immediately invert pan and let cool before removing from pan.  Serve with  strawberries and fresh whipped cream or topping of choice.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog! You will love the mixer. And the cake recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great birthday present!! Good job, Corey! Use the egg yolks for burgers and hollandaise sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kelly!!

    OOh good idea Lauren...I may need to make some hollandaise sauce soon. Your zucchini pancakes sound like the perfect thing.

    ReplyDelete