Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ahi Tuna Perfection

I am absolutely obsessed with ahi tuna.  My husband would tell you its my go to thing to order out....or really the only thing I order out.  How did I get so predictable!  My favorite way its cooked it seared with an asian flair.  I love it spicy served with wasabi or even on a salad.  Yum! 


So, why has it taken me so long to learn how to cook this at home!?  Thank goodness for my friends Lindsey and Ally posting this recipe.  (by the way, you need to check out their website.  They make the most adorable aprons ever).  I couldn't wait to try this recipe soon.  And it was worth the wait!  M"y only advice is to follow the recipe closely on this one!  I have this paranoia that it was going to be too underdone - but that is really the whole point of seared tuna!  I kept wanted to cook it after the cook time per the recipe and it was more overdone that we would have preferred.

two beautifully pink ahi tuna steaks


crust of sesame seeds, wasabi, ginger, garlic, and a little S&P



Ingredients:

4 small to medium Tuna fillets
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
1/4 cup black sesame seeds (couldn’t find at the grocery myself so I just used all white)
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp wasabi powder
1 tsp garlic powder
soy sauce
sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
Brown rice
Your choice of vegetables

Instructions:

Thaw & rinse the tuna fillets off under running water and set on a plate. On a small place mix the black and white sesame seeds, ginger, wasabi (add more if you like it hot), garlic powder and a small amount of salt and pepper.

Pour about two teaspoons of sesame oil into a sauce pan over medium heat. Add 2 tuna fillets and turn heat down to medium low.

Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, just searing each side. Add about a teaspoon of soy sauce right before pulling them out of the sauce pan.

Make sure that your plate with the sesame seed mixture is close by.

Dip each side of the seared tuna fillets in to the sesame seed mixture, making sure to completely cover each side.

Return tuna fillets to sauce pan with more sesame oil and soy sauce. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The middle should be pink, but warmed through. Repeat with the other 2 tuna fillets.

Remove fillets from heat and set aside. Place rice in the middle of four plates.  Top rice with tuna fillets and serve with veggies.  We chose some edamame and asparagus.




No comments:

Post a Comment