Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ahi Tuna, Avocado, Tomato, & Blue Cheese Salad

Every weekend I ask Corey if there is anything in particular he wants to eat the next week.  He usually says he doesn't care, or he'll suggest something I've made before or something I've never made before that he loves.  But occasionally he'll suggest this random, great idea that I've never thought of making...I'll do a little thinking...and it will turn out to be a great dinner.  That's what happened this Tuesday evening.  Last weekend he suggested I make a salad with a tuna steak and some avocado in it.  I found these beautiful vine tomatoes at the grocery Sunday and found some blue cheese in my fridge and went with it.  Corey had his with ranch dressing and I had mine with balsamic vinaigrette (mix olive oil, touch of balsamic vinegar, s&p, and a little italian seasoning).  An after though by both of us was that the blue cheese vinaigrette that I made for this BBQ chicken salad last week would have also been great on this salad.

2 ahi tuna steaks
1 avocado
1 head of romaine or other lettuce
2 tomatoes
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon sesame oil
dressing of choice

Heat sesame oil in pan.  Season tuna steaks with s&p and garlic powder on both sides.  Once oil is hot sear both tuna steaks for 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Watch them as they will cook very quickly and time depends on the thickness.  While these are cooking, slice up your lettuce, avocado, and tomatoes.  An easy way to slice avocado is by cutting it in half, pulling out the pit, then slicing it with your knife while still in the skin, then carefully using a spoon to scoop the whole side out.  Plate your salad in pretty bowls, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have them, and drizzle with dressings over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment