Friday, September 2, 2011

Stuffed Flank Steak with Creamy Grits

One of my friends Jess suggested making flank steak.  She marinated it in a soy/teriyaki sauce then grilled it, which is exactly how I planned to cook it, until our propane tank ran out when I tried to turn on the grill.  So then I remembered back to seeing this recipe on Confections of a Foodie Bride where she had stuffed the flank steak with peppers and served it with cheesy grits.  So I decided to go that route and cook it in the oven...it was seriously so good!  I didn't have time to marinade it, but you could absolutely do that with some worcestershire or red wine.  I wish I would have stuffed it with more of the ingredients so I up-ed them for you in the recipe below!  YUM!


Ingredients:
Flank Steak (mine was about 1.5 lbs)
1/2 red pepper, sliced thinly
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup salsa verde
1/4 cup chopped pistachios
Steak seasoning to taste (I used Montreal brand)
1/2 cup half & half
1 1/2 cup water
6 tablespoons quick grits
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Butterfly steak if thick enough by placing it on the cutting board flat and slicing almost all the way through.  Layer red pepper, blue cheese, salsa, and pistachios inside.  Fold back over then roll up and tie with cooking twine or keep rolled with toothpicks (see pics below).  Season entire outside with steak seasoning.  Quickly sear all sides in saute pan on the stove.  Place saute pan in oven and cook at 375 for 15 - 20 minutes to finish out.  Bring water and half & half to a boil.  Whisk in grits and cook for 5 -7 minutes until water is absorbed.  Add in cheese to grits.  Slice steak on cutting board.  Place grits on plate, top with slice of steak, drizzle with pan juices.

butterfly-ed and stuffed!


First searing on the stove

No comments:

Post a Comment