Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Spinach Quiche

I made this quiche once last summer and remembered it tasting so good, but I had clearly forgotten how good!!!  I found the original recipe on a blog called My First Kitchen, but unfortunately her blog is no longer available as she is taking a blogging break. 
Some changes I made were using 4 eggs verses 3, using fresh spinach verses frozen, using the milk & half and half verses evaporated milk, and using 1 1/2 cups verses 2 1/2 cups cheese.  I also added in some additional seasonings.


Ingredients:
9 inch deep pie shell
4 eggs
10 ounces fresh spinach
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or other white cheese
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
3 small garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup half & half
about a 1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar
shaved parmesan

Method:
Preheat oven to 425.  Slice onion and saute with butter & sugar to caramelize.  Place frozen pie shell in pie pan to defrost while you prepare filling.  Wilt spinach in a sauce pan over low heat and let cool before mixing with other ingredients so your eggs don't get cooked before the oven.  (You could sub frozen spinach and defrost prior to using).  Whisk eggs, milks, seasonings, spinach, and mozzarella together.  Top with dollops of ricotta.  I continued to let my onions caramelize during the initial cooking of my quiche and topped them about 1/2 way through cook time.  Cook quiche for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 325 and cook an additional 40-50 minutes.  Top with shaved parmesan once it comes out of the oven.

before the oven

fresh out of the oven with parmesan

so much spinach, such good flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment