Sunday, June 5, 2011

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

So my sister's 23rd bday was Friday and I wanted to make her something sweet.  We also left for our 5th annual girls trip to Nashville Friday so I decided to make some cupcakes to bring down for everyone to celebrate.  I've only made the out of the box cupcakes prior to this.  Oh my goodness, homemade icing is the best, I don't know if I'll ever go back to that store bought stuff!  Plus it gave me and excuse to use my new stand mixer again!  I also made banana cupcakes with chocolate chips and peanut butter icing...I'll share that recipe next! 

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
courtesy of How Sweet
makes 12 cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles.
Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool, then frost.

Vanilla Buttercream
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of milk, if needed
Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.  You may feel like you have too much frosting but don't be scared to use it all on these cupcakes!  Its not too much and not overly sweet!



No comments:

Post a Comment