Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Portobello Mushroom & Brie "Burgers"

As you probably know by now, I am a total 'plan my recipes out for the week & make my grocery list prior to going to the store every Sunday' type of girl.  One of the few things in my life that I like to be super organized about.  Probably due to the fact that if I just wing it, I will buy way more than I need and things will go to waste, and I will undoubtedly forget something I can't live without for the next week and have to stop by the store again at least once.  However, sometimes when things go unplanned...beauty happens! 

One of the items I picked up last week was a package of two huge portobello mushrooms.  They looked so good, and immediately I thought to myself portobello mushroom "burgers!"  I think I saw Ree from Pioneer Woman make these once so I knew I could throw together a recipe.  Then I remembered the Brie cheese I had also purchased and knew this would be the perfect combo.  Add some caramelized mushrooms on top and I knew I could get Corey to eat them, even if mushrooms aren't his favorite (if you remember from this post on the mushroom soup I made once - which you should try, it was Divine!).  I had some small multi-colored sweet peppers in my fridge I needed to use up, so I threw them on the grill with the portobellas.  I also knew a sweet sauce would go great with the brie cheese.  There is this restaurant in town called Kincaid's that has the most amazing brie appetizer.  They serve it with apples, nuts, and a sweet chocolate & carmel sauce...YUM.  So I decided to make some balsamic syrup to drizzle on top.  This burger was to die for.  And for the record, Corey loved it!  We were dreaming about it laying in bed saying how we wished we had another (at 10pm)...


Ingredients:
Two large Portobello Mushroom caps
Olive oil & Salt and pepper for seasoning
Brie (half of a large wedge should do it)
1/2 large Onion
2 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons Sugar
4 small sweet multi-colored peppers (optional - or you could use one large red pepper)
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
3 or 4 fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
Tomatoes & Lettuce for toppings (optional)
Buns, or english muffins

Method:
Start by preheating your grill.  Slice onions and cook on low in a skillet with butter & sugar until they caramelize.  Wash mushrooms thoroughly and brush with olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
Once grill is preheated, add peppers to char on all sides, and add mushrooms. 
Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan over med high heat and bring to a boil.  Turn down once boiling to med low heat and let it simmer until reduced by at least half.  It will become thick like a syrup once complete and will taste very sweet.
Continue to cook mushrooms about 5 minutes on each side until you get good grill marks.  (And continue to turn your peppers so they cook evenly). 
We chose to have these on english muffins because we didn't have any buns, but you can serve on whatever you would like.  Toast or grill your buns of choice and begin to assemble your burgers!  We layered the portobello, then the Brie, then sliced the peppers thinly, then the caramelized onions, then the basil, then the balsamic drizzled over the top, then add your tomatoes & lettuce if using at the end to keep your top bun from getting soggy.


No comments:

Post a Comment