Thursday, December 9, 2010

Two (non) baked treats!

First I saw this cake batter chocolate bark on how sweet and KNEW I had to try it...I mean look at these pictures...



So fun!  But I knew I also wanted to make something Christmas-y.  So peppermint patties...why not!

Here are the recipes:

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark
6 ounces good dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70%)
12 ounces good white chocolate (I used Lindt)
1 teaspoon yellow cake mix
sprinkles of your choice (at least 3 tablespoons worth or more)
Melt dark chocolate either in the microwave or a double boiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour chocolate on. You can smooth it with a spatula to the thickness you desire. Stick in the freeze for 20 minutes.
Melt while chocolate. Whisk in cake mix, stirring well until no lumps remain. Let it set for 3 full minutes (or at least until it slightly thickens). Remove baking sheet with chocolate from the freezer and immediately pour white chocolate on top. Sprinkle on sprinkles. Freeze for 20 minutes.
Once set, break into chunks. Keep refrigerated.
Peppermint Patties
adapted from Joy of Baking
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
drop of peppermint extract 
 1-2 cups chocolate chips
In an electric mixer, beat first 5 ingredients until smooth. Scoop into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to set. Once firm, roll into one inch balls. Push down to flatten. Set in freeze for another 60 minutes.
Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Remove patties from freezer and dip in chocolate, setting on wax paper. Freeze again until ready to eat.

Can't wait to see how they turn out...and can't wait to see one of my best girl friends and her guy.  We always have a great time together.  Like I told her last time I saw her, I just try to soak her up when I do get to see her since its not too ofter since she lives in Chicago!

1 comment:

  1. Eating now and is it delicious! If only I would have brought them out last night, could have given chris a variety of face masks :

    ReplyDelete