Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Roasted Tomato Soup with Poblano Peppers and Oregano

So I am not avoiding updating about how turkey day turned out...I am just terrible about uploading pictures from my camera.  And I really want to have pictures with that post!  I guess I should probably get better if I want to keep this blogging thing interesting! 

This soup was awesome!  Its a little spicy, but not too spicy (I guess you could change up the number of peppers you used to make it more or less).  The smell of the roasted tomatos and peppers was so good.  I am obviously a little obsessed with soups this fall/winter... which Cor says is ok by him because he loves them too!  I'll have to share the recipe for his mom's chicken and dumplings we had last week (prior to turkey day).  They are soo good and perfect comfort food for this weather! 

Here is your ingredient list, photo (and recipe of course) courtesy of For the Love of Cooking:

Roasted Tomato Soup with Poblanos and Oregano
 
3 large tomatoes
3 poblano chiles
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 sweet yellow onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
4 cups of beef broth
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Preheat the broiler. Place the tomatoes on the baking sheet and place into the oven. Roast the tomatoes on each side until the skins are blackened. Allow the tomatoes to cool before removing and discarding the skins. Pull the core out and discard; place the tomatoes and its juices in a food processor and process until you get a puree.

Place the poblano chiles on the same baking sheet and place under the broiler until all sides are blackened. Place the chilies in a bowl and cover with saran wrap or a kitchen towel for 5 minutes to steam. Peel, pull out stem, and seed pod of each chile. Slice the chiles into smalls strips.

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil, then add onions and oregono and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and roasted poblanos and cook for another minute, stirring constantly. Add the tomato puree and beef broth then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Serve with cheese and enjoy!
 
I served with the queso fresca cheese I had left over from stuffed peppers the first time I ate this soup.  Then for the leftovers I actually toasted up some leftover bread with cheddar cheese under the broiler and made some little cheesy croutons out of it and topped the soup with those.  This was the way to go for me!  I thought it added a new dimension - I mean who doesn't like to add a little cheesy bread!!!
 
This was the first recipe I had made from For the Love of Cooking...but I don't think it will be my last.  We really liked the soup and I really like her style of cooking.  Homemade, and generally healthy. 
 
I just can't describe how much I am loving this new journey as a cook.  I mean I love all the new flavors that I didn't necessary taste before and I just constantly find new recipes I want to try and tackle.  And not to mention I sort of love doing it for those I love...like mr. corey.

No comments:

Post a Comment