3 lb brisket
Ground black pepper
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz Dr. Pepper
(Optional: half 7 oz can chipotle peppers in adobo)
Mango Barbecue Sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 3/4 – 1 cup)
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp Creole (spicy brown) mustard
1/4 cup mango chutney (I used half of a mango, diced)
8 8-in flour tortillas
8 oz brie, thinly sliced
1 cup monterrey jack, shredded (I didn't use this)
olive oil or cooking spray, to brush tortillas
cilantro, for garnish (optional)
(Optional: caramelized onions)
- To make the brisket: Rub the meat with salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic.
- Place brisket in the crockpot and pour the Dr. Pepper over the top (add chipotles if desired).
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove from the crockpot and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice against the grain (1/8-1/4 inch thick).
- To make the barbecue sauce: Heat olive oil in a 2-qt sauce pan.
- Saute onions for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor and run until smooth, add ketchup or water slowly if needed to thin.
- To assemble the quesadillas: Heat a griddle or large pan over medium-high.
- Lay out the tortillas. Divide the meat, brie, and monterrey jack between the tortillas, placing the meat and cheese on half of the tortilla.
- Top with a spoonful or two of barbecue sauce and fold the other half over.
- Place on the heated grill.
- Cook until the bottom is crisp and flip over.
- Remove from heat and slice into thirds. Serve with extra barbecue sauce.