Friday, October 28, 2011

Chili

OK, really I don't follow any sort of chili recipe.  I just throw in whatever I have on hand!  But below is a rough recipe for you to follow.  I don't have measurements on the seasonings because I always add some, stir it around, taste it, add more if needed, and continue this process until it tastes great!  We like chunky chili as well so if you like yours a little thinner, pick up a second 28 oz can of diced tomatoes to add if needed.  You can also add water to thin it (cheaply) and it doesn't really affect the taste, just make sure to season it well!


Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion
1 or 2 peppers (green or red)
1 pablano pepper
1 or 2 jalopenos
1 or 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 or 2 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
water if needed
2 cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed
chili powder
garlic powder
salt & pepper
sugar
cumin
cayenne pepper (optional)
pinch of cinnamon

Method:
Brown hamburger with diced onion, peppers, jalopenos.  Drain grease if needed (or use the 93/7 kind and you won't have any!)  Add in tomatoes & tomato sauce and season lightly (also add water here if chili is thicker than you would like it).  Simmer for as long as you can wait :)  I usually try to do this for at least 30 minutes.  Taste & season more if needed.  Add beans and heat through.  Serve with cornbread (& rice for my hubby!)

No comments:

Post a Comment