Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

Get ready for a whole lot of pumpkin, thats all I have to say!  I have been obsessed with pumpkin this year, which is working out in Corey's favor since its his favorite.  So far I've made this pumpkin bread, muffins, cookies, cream cheese, milkshakes and I think thats it...so get ready!!!  This is the second time I've made this pumpkin bread recipe and it turned out great again.  I decided to half the sugar because typically baking recipes contain too much in my opinion...and the hubby is diabetic.  Then I added a glaze over the top because we decided it wasn't sweet enough, ha!  The glaze is completely optional.  I started with about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup powdered sugar and just slowly added maple syrup until you get your desired thickness, go slow because a little liquid goes a long way!  Or if you don't like maple syrup you can use milk instead.



Recipe courtesy of Simply Recipes

Ingredients:
3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose if you want)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice (didn't have so I used pumpkin pie spice)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Method:
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.  Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
2 Mix the pumpkin, oil, eggs, 1/4 cup of water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients, but do not mix too thoroughly. Stir in the nuts.
3 Pour into a well-buttered 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until a toothpick poked in the very center of the loaf comes out clean. Turn out of the pan and let cool on a rack.
Can easily double the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment