Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Whoo, these might give the pear muffins some competition when it comes to my favorite muffin!  They are so so good!  I've made these a few times but always forget to capture them for the blog.  When my friend Katie came to visit a few weekends ago I decided to make some muffins beforehand to have for breakfast that morning since I knew she was going to have to leave early in the morning and we probably wouldn't have time to make breakfast.  I basically just use the same pumpkin bread recipe I make, but add chocolate chips.  With half the sugar, half whole wheat flour, and a full cup of pumpkin I don't feel too guilty about these!  We like them best at room temperature when the chocolate chips are still whole, but soft.  Perfect with a glass of milk!





Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
adapted from Pumpkin Bread
yields 12 muffins

3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour (you can use all purpose if you want)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice (didn't have so I used pumpkin pie spice)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chocolate chips

1 Preheat oven to 350°F.  Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
2 Mix the pumpkin, oil, eggs, 1/4 cup of water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients, but do not mix too thoroughly.  Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
3 Pour into 12 lined muffin tins.  Bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool muffins on a cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment