Monday, March 26, 2012

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes

My boss / good friend at works birthday was last week so I wanted to make her a special treat!  Her favorite thing ever is cake, so I knew it had to be a cupcake.  I went straight to who else but Jessica at How Sweet it is!  And then I immediately remembered these I had pinned from her about a month ago.  Please click on the link below to her site to see how beautiful hers turned out.  I snapped this picture quick after making these Thursday night, probably around 9:30 pm.  Sorry! 

I realized when I had already taken them out of the oven and was about to make the frosting that I only had 1/2 cup powdered sugar, when the recipe called for 1 3/4 cup...opps!  Time to improvise!  I used what I had and then added a tablespoon at a time of granulated sugar (2 total) to sweeten up the cream cheese.  The frosting actually turned out great.  It had a really rich cream cheese taste that went perfect with the cupcakes.  I've since learned that you can put regular sugar in the blender or food processor to make powdered sugar...good to know for next time!  Also I've found a easy little trick for frosting my cupcakes.  Put the frosting into a zip lock baggie and cut off one corner.  Perfect little disposable piping bag! 

These were absolutely the best chocolate cupcakes I've ever had.  They were very rich and chocolaty but so moist.  I did notice they sank in the middle so if anyone has any suggestions for that, let me know.  If I had one word to describe these cupcakes, it would be incredible!


Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes
via How Sweet
makes 12 cupcakes


1 1/8 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup fat-free milk
3 tablespoons heavy cream (didn't have so I used milk)
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons sour cream
2/3 cup milk chocolate chips or semi sweet




Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


In a bowl, whisk egg and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain.  Add milk, cream and vanilla, and mix until combined.  Stir in sour cream.


Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture.  Mix until batter is smooth.  Add in melted butter and stir until smooth.  Fold in chocolate chips.


Line a muffin tin with liners and using a 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.




Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting


1 1/2 8-ounce blocks of cold cream cheese
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar (I used 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
2 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled (or semi-sweet)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract


In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and add cocoa powder, increasing the speed to mix. Add in melted chocolate. If the frosting it a bit too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.  If it is too thin, add additional sugar gradually. Frost cupcakes once cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment