Monday, December 19, 2011

Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Pablano Enchiladas

And chorizo if you wish!  The original recipe called for chorizo and I had some in the freezer so I used it, but honestly wished I hadn't!  It just made the enchiladas seem greasy to me.  But the hubby liked it, so it may just be me!  Totally your choice!  I also added black beans so you could just use those instead of chorizo for a cheap vegetarian meal.

I had some leftover sweet potatoes in the fridge from Thanksgiving so I searched pinterest for a sweet potato recipe and this is what I came up with!  They were so good and really really easy!  I made half with corn tortillas and half with flour and we liked the corn better, so thats what I suggest (they just don't stay together as easy)!


Sweet Potato, Black Bean, & Pablano Enchiladas
yields 10 enchiladas

Ingredients:
Olive oil
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 sweet onion
1 pablano pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 link chorizo (optional)
1/2 cup black beans, drained & rinsed
10 taco size corn tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce
shredded cheese

Method:
Peel the sweet potato and cut into a half inch cubes.  Remove the stem and seeds from the poblano and also dice into half inch pieces.  Dice the onion & mince the garlic.

In a large skillet, cook the sweet potato, poblano, onion, and garlic in olive oil, over medium heat until they begin to soften (about 10 minutes).  (Optional: squeeze the chorizo out of it's casing into the skillet). Break up the meat and cook until thoroughly browned (about 5 minutes).  Add black beans if using.

Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Scoop about 3/4 cup of the chorizo sweet potato filling into each tortilla. Fold in the ends and then roll the tortilla up around the filling. Place the filled and rolled tortillas in the baking dish. They should fill the dish and fit tightly against each other to prevent unrolling.

Pour the enchilada sauce over the the rolled tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Bake in the oven until the edges begin to bubble (about 20 minutes). Serve hot.

Optional garnishes: green onion, cilantro, sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment