Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cornbread Stuffing w/ Sausage, Apples, & Crispy Sage

Stuffing is probably my least favorite item on my Thanksgiving plate.  Every time I try to eat it I just think of soggy bread and it is completely unappetizing to me.  My mom made her stuffing recipe this year, so I decided to try making a cornbread stuffing as well since I absolutely love cornbread.  Although, it was much better than the normal stuffing to me, it still wasn't one of my favorite turkey day sides.  However, if you like stuffing, and cornbread, I think you will love this one!  Courtesy of The Pioneer Woman, its stuffed with sausage, apples, mushrooms, & onions, plus I added crispy sage to the top after making this lasagna!




Cornbread Stuffing with Sausage, Apples, & Crispy Sage

Ingredients:

1 package White Button Mushrooms
Olive Oil if needed
4 cups Cornbread, Cut Into 1-inch Cubes
4 cups French Bread, Cut Into 1-inch Cubes
1/2 pound Spicy Sausage
2 cups Diced Onion
1 or 2 Granny Smith Apples, Large Dice
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/2 cup White Wine
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
32 ounces, fluid Low (very Low) Sodium Chicken Broth, may not use all
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Sage (more To Taste)
1 teaspoons Rosemary
1/2 teaspoon (additional) Kosher Salt
Black Pepper To Taste
Fresh Parsley, Minced to taste
Fresh Sage leaves, optional

Method:

Allow diced bread to sit out on cookie sheets for several hours or overnight, until dried out.
Increase heat to high and add mushrooms, diced apples, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until deep golden brown.  Add in thyme, sage, rosemary and stir to combine.

Decrease heat to medium and pour in wine (be careful if you're using an open flame). Stir and cook to reduce liquid by half, about two to three minutes. Pour apple/onion/mushroom mixture into a bowl and set aside.

Add bread to a large bowl, then add browned sausage, mushrooms, and apple/onion mixture (and juice that might have accumulated.) Next, add broth gradually as you toss the ingredients, being prepared not to use all of the liquid according to your taste.

Check seasonings at the end and add in minced parsley. Pour into a large baking dish and lay fresh sage leaves over the top.  Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top and sage has crisped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment