Thursday, July 28, 2011

Zucchini, Walnut, & Chocolate Chip Muffins

I went to the farmer's market with my mom on Saturday and found the hugest (word?) zucchini for only $2.  I had no idea how I would be able to use it all, but after chatting it up with the farmer I had plenty of ideas!  (I'll share a few others with you later.)  First up was some sort of zucchini bread.  I love zucchini bread.  Corey's mom has always made it, so he is a huge fan.  But of course, I have been fiending the muffins lately, so I decided to go the muffin route.  They are so easy to grab on the way out the door and we are consistently running late to work in the morning.  I knew I wanted to throw in a couple walnuts and chocolate chips, because they make everything better, and I stumbled upon this recipe from All Recipes.  I slightly modified to include whole wheat flour, olive oil, & less sugar.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Combine the egg, oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. I also sprinkled mine with a little brown sugar before putting them in the oven.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done.

HUGE zucchini


No comments:

Post a Comment