Thursday, February 17, 2011

Homemade Honey Wheat Bread

I have been wanting to make some homemade bread to see how easy it was.  I was thinking it would probably taste great and a lot fresher and I really enjoy making things homemade and knowing what ingredients I put into them myself.  I have to admit however that this was pretty difficult by hand and the final product was not what I was looking forward to!  The bread was very dense and honestly took a lot of time & effort to make!  I think we will stick to purchasing bread in the grocery store unless we for some reason get a bread maker some day.





Recipe from here
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
Instructions: 
1. *Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
2. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover.  Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon you can cover with foil (I had no issue with that)
5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm.  Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight bag or frozen until needed

No comments:

Post a Comment