One of our favorite restaurants is Maggiano's - thats actually where we had our rehearsal dinner the night before we married. We have so many great memories from that restaurant! Every time we go we always order the fried zucchini appetizer which is served with a lemon aoli. Its amazing! Of course its been on my list of things to make at home for a while now. Well I found that recipe via Closet Cooking a while back and finally decided to make it the other day to enjoy during football Sunday. While it tasted nothing like our favorite, first clue - "baked," it was still really good. And since its healthy its a win win! I would definitely make these again.
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used panko)
1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 pound zucchini (sliced into sticks and pat dry)
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg white (lightly beaten)
1. Mix the bread crumbs, parmigiano reggiano and oregano in a bowl.
2. Season the zucchini with salt and pepper.
3. Dip the zucchini in the egg and then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.
4. Place the zucchini on a baking sheet in a single layer with the skin side down.
5. Bake in a preheated 425F oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.