Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pad Thai w/ Spicy Peanut Sauce

Pad Thai is the first thing I ever ordered at a Thai restaurant and it will forever remain my favorite.  I love the spicy peanut sauce and all the crunchy bean sprouts, green onions, and peanuts on top!  My sister Brooke and I took our dad out for Thai food a few weeks ago for a late father's day celebration.  I ordered one of the best Pad Thai's I've had to date and ended up bringing some leftovers home for the hubby.  He had never had it before and didn't stop raving over it for the next week or so.  I finally gave in to his begging for me to recreate it for him (he always has so much faith in me, ha!).  All of the recipes I found online required me to purchase a number of new sauces that we didn't own already.  And then I landed upon this one from the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen.  She must have known I wasn't trying to spend a fortune on this one meal.  The recipe looked simple enough and I only had to purchase one additional item, score!  We actually thought the sauce was pretty spicy, and we both love spicy food, so the recipe I'm sharing below is modified for the average person who doesn't want to burn their tongue off (with about 1/2 the Sriracha sauce)!

I am very sorry, but I don't have any pictures for you!  I made this during a busy Thursday night right before I was heading out of the house and Corey ate the rest of the leftovers Friday before I was able to catch any pictures.

picture courtesy of tasty kitchen (link above)

Ingredients:

1 package Pad Thai Rice Sticks, 8 0z
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Or Canola Oil
3 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, Cubed
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
1 whole Medium Yellow Onion Sliced
1 whole Colored Pepper Of Your Choice, Sliced
1 cup Shredded Carrots
2 Tablespoons Ginger Paste (you can use less powdered ginger, or buy fresh ginger and mince it) 
1 cup Bean Sprouts
1 dash Salt And Pepper, to taste
1 bunch Green Onions, Chopped For Garnish
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the Sauce
2 teaspoons Hoisin Sauce
3 Tablespoons Peanut Butter, Crunchy Or Creamy
3 Tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce

Directions:
Cook noodles according to package instructions.
For the sauce, mix the hoisin, peanut butter, soy sauce and sriracha (we like spicy, so I used roughly a tablespoon) to form a paste. Set aside.
When the noodles are done soaking, drain water and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wok over HIGH heat for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes then add the onion, bell peppper
Serve in bowls and garnish with chopped green onions, peanuts & cilantro.

I also wanted to share some photos from last weekend!  Me and Corey celebrated our 2nd Anniversary in Cincinnati.  We decided to take a last minute get away and had a blast zip-lining & catching a Reds game. 


Cor coming in from one of the lines


the views were beautiful




No comments:

Post a Comment