Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia w/ Blueberry Lime Salsa

So last night, I totally made something for dinner and didn't tell my husband what was in it until he had his first bite.  He is not a very picky what-so-ever, but for some reason claims he hates blueberries (I know, right???).  Last night I made this awesome salsa with two main ingredients: blueberries & lime...opps!  I was dying to try this recipe the minute I saw it on How Sweet and debated whether I wanted to waste the time & ingredients if Corey wouldn't eat it.  But I am convinced that he doesn't really "hate" blueberries, he just thinks he does for some odd reason.  I was sure if he just tried this he would like it and not even know what was in it!  Well I was right!!!  I love sneaking blueberries into his diet because they are a super fruit and so good for him!  This recipe did not disappoint!  The lime in the salsa was so fresh and the avocado was a great add in as well.  The salsa almost acted like a chutney on top of the crispy honey lime fish with just the right amount of sweetness.  Just make sure to make extra because we were wishing we had more when it was gone!!!  I slightly adapted the recipes below for convenience.


Crispy Honey Lime Tilapia
makes 5 fillets
5 fresh (or thawed) tilapia fillets
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lime juice
garlic powder
salt & pepper
1/3 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
2 tablespoons olive oil for frying

Sprinkle fillets with salt, pepper, & garlic powder.  Add flour to a bowl and set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Dredge each piece of tilapia through the flour until you have a very light coating. Making sure the pan is hot, add tilapia to the oil and cook until flaky and crispy on each side – about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove tilapia from pan and let drain on a paper towel for a few minutes. Mix honey & lime juice & drizzle over fillets, then cover in blueberry lime salsa (recipe follows).

Blueberry Lime Salsa
makes about 1 1/2 cups
1 cup fresh blueberries
5 medium strawberries
1/4 red onion
1 teaspoon lime zest
juice of two limes (I only used one because it was large and full of juice)
1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of sugar
1/2 avocado, chopped

Combine blueberries, strawberries, onion, lime zest, juice and cilantro in a food processor or blender and pulse. The consistency is up to you but I like to leave mine a bit chunky, so I only pulse it about 5-6 times. Taste and season with salt and pepper and sugar if desired. Scrape salsa into a bowl and fold in chopped avocado. Serve on top of fish or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment