Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chipotle Southwestern Steak Salad

I'm just going to apologize in advance for this photo!  This is what you call I already started eating then remembered to snap a photo.  If my husband saw this he would probably tell me not to post it!  But it was just too darn good I don't want you to miss this recipe!  The vinaigrette was so incredible and unexpected, like nothing I've ever made!  It was sweet with the honey, smokey with the chipotle peppers, and bright with the lime.  And the great thing is you don't have to do steak, you can do chicken, pork, add black beans, or just a simple greens salad.  The steak was so so good though!


 
Southwestern Steak Salad
serves 2-4
 
1 pound skirt steak (1/2 inch thick), trimmed (I couldn't find in the grocery so I used a ribeye)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 hearts romaine lettuce, torn (I used mixed greens)
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced small
6 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
 
Heat a large skillet over medium-high; season steak with salt and pepper. Cook 2 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare (or until done to your likeness). Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil. Let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
 
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together lettuce, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, and onion.
 
In a small bowl, combine chile, lime juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Gradually whisk in oil and any accumulated juices from steak. Pour dressing over salad and toss; add steak and toss again.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment