Monday, July 7, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara

Have you ever had carbonara before?  I never had and had no idea what it really was.  Its basically a pasta dish with the sauce made out of eggs and parmesan and let me tell you, it was devine.  Without being overly heavy, it truly tasted like a really really rich dish.  I love both cauliflower and mushrooms so much, but unfortunately they are probably Corey's least favorite vegetable.  However, being me, after seeing this recipe over and over again I just couldn't get it out of my mind.  I had to make it anyway and I just had a feeling he would love it to.  We both did and I have made this one three times in the past few months as well.  It feels so indulgent, but I really don't feel that guilty eating it!


Grrr another picture posting sideways, I don't know why! 





Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara
via Closet Cooking

1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces fettuccine (or pasta of choice)
4 ounces pancetta, diced or 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 3 strips bacon)
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 eggs
1/2 cup (2 ounces) parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
salt to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (I skipped this)


Toss the cauliflower and mushrooms in the oil, salt and pepper, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing half way through.  Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.  Cook the pancetta in a pan, pour off all but a tablespoon of the grease from the pan, add the garlic, cook for 30 second and turn off the heat.  Mix the egg, cheese, pepper and salt and parsley in a bowl.  Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.  Mix the pasta, egg mixture, cauliflower and mushrooms into the pan with the pancetta, adding reserved pasta water as needed.  Serve immediately!



No comments:

Post a Comment