Monday, October 15, 2012

Spicy Roasted Corn Soup

I was eating lunch at Whole Foods with my friend Emily today and they had a corn and pablano chowder on their hot bar.  I had to try some because it reminded me of this soup I made a few weeks which was awesome!  (Guess I need to catch up on my blog posts!)  I had it pinned for a long time, but kept looking over it for some reason.  I'm so glad I finally made it because it was so so good.  Its a creamy soup, but not too thick at all.  It just had such great flavor.  The roasting of the corn really made the soup sweet with just a touch of spice from the jalopeno.  Yum!


Spicy Roasted Corn Soup

1 lb bag frozen white corn
jalopeno
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced celery
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 lime
small bunch fresh chopped cilantro


Preheat oven to broiler.  Spread corn out on a baking sheet and also place jalopeno on pan.  Broil until golden, watching closely.  You will need to toss corn and also turn jalopeno.  The jalopeno might need more time after corn is golden.  I cooked the jalopeno until it was blackened on all sides. 
 
Next saute onion and celery in stockpot until softened in a touch of olive oil.  Add butter and flour and whisk until combined for about one minute.  Whisk in milk until combined.  Add in chicken stock, corn, and jalopeno.  Heat through.
 
Slowly add lime juice and stir so it won’t curdle.  Mix in cilantro, taste, and season if needed.
 
Garnish with avocado and serve with tortilla chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment