Friday, November 12, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

Happy Friday!

Yay for the weekend!  Last night I got together with my mom, my aunt Kim and Linda, and a few other ladies to pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. 



http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/
This is a ministry of Samaritan's Purse where you can pack your own shoebox for either a boy or a girl from different age groups to send over to a child who is less fortunate than us.  We shared in some fellowship and prayed for the children who are going to receive our boxes!  It also really helps remind you of how fortunate we are, especially around Christmas!

Wednesday we made a yummy fall soup - Pumpkin & Black Bean Soup.  My husband is in love with everything pumpkin so of course he was happy!  I found the recipe on Closet Cooking.  This is one of my favorite food blogs.  Everything he posts I want to try, he is so creative with his cooking.  This is the type of food blog that makes me wish I could be in the kitchen all day :)


Here is the recipe if you are interested:

Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon cumin (toasted and ground)
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 can pumpkin puree

1 (19 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped)
1/4 cup dry Sherry (or dry white wine)
1 handful cilantro (chopped, optional) - I didn't have1 handful toasted pumpkin seeds
(optional) - I didn't have


Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the broth, pumpkin, black beans, tomatoes and sherry and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and puree to the desired consistency.
6. Serve garnished with cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment