Friday, February 18, 2011

Cake Balls & Oreo Balls

After seeing this post I intended to make red velvet cake balls to bring into work for V-day.  Her version looked so cute and valentine-y!  However for some reason I thought I had food coloring at home and I did not, and didn't think to purchase a red velvet cake, just a regular chocolate cake so they ended up being just chocolate cake balls.  Oh well!  Don't think anyone minded.  This is not my type of desert however.  I am not too much of a plain old cake and frosting type of person.  Its just not my desert of choice.  I've made oreo balls before and I liked those so much better.  I'm sharing the recipe for those below as well, I also thought they were much easier to make.

Cake balls:
1 box cake mix - your choice
1 can cream cheese frosting (or make home-made here - you'll need 1 1/2 cups of that)
chocolate chips or chocolate almond bark for coating

Prepare the cake per instructions on the box.  Cool completely in fridge or freezer.  Crumble cake into large bowl (I mean the largest you've got) and also add frosting.  Mix together with your hand mixer until fully combined.  You may think this is going to be impossible when you see how much cake you have when its crumbled and you may or may not end up with it all over the walls like I did - that's what that backsplash is for :)


Place combined cake and frosting in freezer for 30 minutes at least.  Form into balls and place on a cookie sheet and back into freezer for another 30 minutes to an hour.  Melt chocolate or white chocolate bark and dip balls in the chocolate and then put back into freezer.  Are we starting to see a trend here?  A lot of steps are involved in this recipe, but its really pretty easy.  Finished product should look something like this:



The oreo balls are basically the same steps except easier.
1.  Chop 1 package oreos in food processor
2.  Mix with 1 package of cream cheese
3.  Freeze for a bit then roll into balls then freeze again
4.  Dip into 1 package of melted white chocolate chips and freeze a third time

No comments:

Post a Comment