Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars
via Oh She Glows (check out her blog!!!)
- 1.5 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium/large bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or cherries, chopped (I haven't tried cherries yet)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds (I didn't have so used chia seeds)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large rectangular baking dish (approx. 8.5" x 12.5") with foil or parchment paper so the bars are easier to lift out and lightly grease the foil.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana until smooth. Stir in the vanilla.
- Place the rolled oats into a food processor (or blender on the lowest speed) and pulse until the oats are coarsely chopped (but still with lots of texture). Stir oats into the banana mixture.
- Chop the walnuts and dried fruit and stir these and the rest of the ingredients into the banana-oat mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Press down until compacted and smooth out until even.
- Bake for 23-27 minutes until firm and lightly golden along the edge - do not overcook! Place dish on a cooling rack for 10 minutes then carefully slide a knife to loosen the ends and lift out. Place granola slab on a cooling rack until completely cool.
- Slice into bars once they are cool.